Sunday, March 29, 2015

Stormy Seas Update


It's been a busy week around here.....I taught all last weekend, and worked on either side of the weekend, so I was bound and determined to have a little fun this weekend (and sleep in, but more about that later). To my surprise, a package arrived on Tuesday that I was not really expecting -- my Stormy Seas from Carrie!!!! This one is not anywhere near my color palette. But I really do love it!!! It's a gift eventually -- which is to say, that I made it with a certain someone in mind after I use and abuse it as a class sample. It is a LARGE table runner -- 71 inches to be exact. Which just happens to be 1" shorter than my Mom's dining room table. Happy coinkidink.  

The pattern is newish, and called Stormy Seas and is a smaller version (with an alternate border) of A Touch of Spring. It's  great pattern, and a great into to curved piecing, since it has both the traditional C curve and the dreaded S curve (in the border). I pieced this lovely right around Christmas, and it was made from various Kansas Troubles collections. I think there were 4 different layer cakes involved, as well as background yardage. The great thing about this one is you can do it super scrappy (like I did), or super organized. Using 115+ fabrics or 4 this quilt always stands out. 

And the quilting...well let's just say it doesn't disappoint. Of course, it's Carrie, so I am not surprised. The main sections are quilted in a tan blender, and disappear into the piece, leaving behind texture and scrumptiousness. And the border is a tendrily feathery lovely in a soft cream, that really shows off the curve of the border. And in that corner, a hidden gem (can you see the star??). 

This one really was a joy to make, and now, I really must get it bound....along with the 3 or 4 others that need a little binding fairy. 


Happy Quilting!

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment