Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 - And overthinking overthinking

The new year is always one of thoughtfulness....looking back at the past year, and forward to the new one, assessing what you did (and didn't) do, what worked and what didn't, and making plans for the next 12 months. For me this time of year is always full of decisions, but not a lot of resolutions...not that I don't make resolutions, but that I think you can start them at any time, so why not today or June 16th, when you decided you wanted to do it???

For me, the new year is about refocusing, realigning, and redesigning....and a  lot about planning. So often, the schedule was set up 18-24 months ago, but now is the time for the logistics part...how will I travel, when exactly will  the plane leave, etc, etc etc. The big picture gets drilled down to the specific and the actual plan gets set.

2015 is no exception, I have a lot of things on the plate, from teaching engagements, to our first ever out of California retreat (in August, in Montana), several large out of state teaching gigs, and some big shows that I haven't done before. The things are so exciting, and also terrifying. Don't get me wrong, I love every minute, but sometimes I over think it. Is this the right show to be my first "big" show, is this a good fit for classes??? Etc, etc, etc. This running your own business is not for sissies. The work I love, no doubt, but sometimes the details (like taxes, and P&L statements, and accounting, etc) are just not any fun. I know they are necessary, even desirable. But the process of doing those is a distraction from the real things I want and love to do....

So, today, on this last day of 2014, I will be looking back and looking forward, and planning, lots of planning. While others are ringing in the new year outside in the freezing cold, I will be on my couch with knitting needles and a good glass of wine, listening to the classics, and cooking up new plans for 2015. I can't wait to share them with you, and I hope you will join us on some of the 2015 adventures....

So, happy planning everyone, and I will see you in 2015!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment