Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Market Release #5 - Parallel Universe


This is my favorite of all of the quilts that I made for Market this year. It's a large quilt, clocking in at queen size. I found the border by accident and grabbed all that was left on the bolt. It is a Moda batik, and the first time I had purchased their batiks. I have used their regular cotton prints for most of my quilting life, but they only moved into the batik side about 5 years ago, and their selection of batiks is still small relative to their cotton line, and since I live in Southern California, just down the street from Island Batiks, and just down the road from Hoffman Fabrics of California, there aren't a lot of the Moda batiks on the shelves here. But this one.....This one is lovely. A navy background with multi-colored dots in yellow, red, pink, green and orange. I used the print to pull all of the other prints, in navy, lime, sun, turquoise, hot pink, tangerine, and a hint of red....

The blocks are big on this one, so the quilt works up really fast...I could easily see this one in other combinations : red and blue only for 4th of July, red and green only for Christmas, or purple, lime green and black for Halloween....or reproduction prints, or Bonnie and Camille's Daysail. The blocks are big enough to show off fussy cutting squares, and those larger prints.

I hope you will enjoy this one as much as I have.....Parallel Universe.....





The lovely swirly quilting was done by Kerry Smith of Escondido, under a super short deadline, and as always she came through and I love, love, love the quilting!!! The swirls are perfect on the angular piecing. Did I mention I love it?

Well, this completes my updates on all of the patterns from Market. International Quilt Festival opens today at 5pm, and goes through Sunday. Look out next week for information on the show and all of the people we meet...we are expecting 50,000+ quilters to descend upon Houston in the next few days.....If you are at Festival, stop by booth 1714 and see them in person.

Happy Quilting!!!
Catherine


1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your blog. Love your Parallel Universe quilt. Especially like the string quilt you were making in the Bonnie Hunter class. I don't know why I never noticed your "woofer" Penny before--she is absolutely a cutie pie. I have a special place in my heart for those little shaggy faces with so much expression.

    Deb Conklin

    ReplyDelete