Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Work in Process Wednesday

Well, given where I was on my status yesterday, I made good progress in the last 36 hours.

* I finished the backing fabric tent for the back of Amazon Star -- oh my I had forgotten how long and exactly how much fabric it takes to make a backing for a 104"x104" quilt top. 10 1/2 yards of fabric. All pieced and ready to head out to my favorite quilter for a little TLC.

* Sunflower Wallhanging - I didn't get the binding on, but I did get it made. So tonight after the gym I should have enough time to get it put on, the quilt isn't that big -- just 36x50 -- so a few minutes at the machine and I should be able to get that bad boy on. After that, an episode of NCIS reruns on Netflix and it will be ready to hang up.

* Piecing on the new TOM - I didn't even get this one out of the box this week, as I got a little distracted working on other things....

Things I worked out which were not on the plan this week, but are done/worked on -

* Harboured Lighthouse - I got the D and E segments (the small stars) all pieced, so the only things left to make at this point are the border units, and then the dreaded Y seams. Not sure why this is the one that is inspiring me at the moment, but it is, so there we go.

* The Sale - so far, I have cleared out most of the patterns, though there are still a few left. Next up -- fabric. I'll start on that tomorrow. I had hoped to get to it today, but it just wasn't meant to be.

* Leader and Ender 2018-2019 - Jewel Box Stars -- I pulled colors last week or the week before, and just needed some backgrounds cut. I got those cut and made 50 or so 4 patches. that's less that 10% of the blocks I am going to need -- since I need 8 - 4-patches per block, and 48 blocks, so 384, and that's just the 4 patches, I also need 384 HSTs. SO, 50/768 total units....yeah, not much progress in the grand scheme. But, I have 52 weeks to get that done, I mapped it out, and i'd like to have the units done by Christmas, so that I have the spring to assemble the blocks, and a long weekend around Memorial Day to sew everything together. We'll have to see how my plan works out.

* Speaking of plans -- the other thing that I worked on this week was my Tula Pink City Sampler in Batiks -- I'm doing the challenge that @GnomeAngel is hosting. It's a block a day every day for 100 day, and the hashtag is #100days100blocks2018. So far, I'm on 19, which is 6 blocks further than I got the last time that I did one of these. In the past these kinds of challenges have really been a struggle, but this time, I am on it.

So I'm wondering, does anyone else plan out their quilts for the year, or do you just go with whatever inspires you at the moment? How many UFOs do you have??? Do you buy fabric for specific patterns, or do you have a stash? and how do you manage it? Do you have bins and boxes for projects, or are you a bag lady? How do you keep it all organized? I'll confess it's the part that I struggle with most, the keeping it organized. And I wish I could say that it is just the quilt room....but I'd be lying. I struggle with finding homes for everything, and having a real system. The problem is I have too many systems. I've made it all too complicated, so I'm going to be working on that over the next few months -- really looking at what I need and use and simplifying it to make sense in my life.

Because every thing is a work in process.....

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment