Monday, July 16, 2018

Stash Management 101

So, the stash has been getting a little out of hand lately. Not consciously or deliberately, more a matter of circumstance and lack of paying attention. A couple of fat quarters here, a cute border print there, and suddenly the fabric is busting at the seams again. Just like all of the UFOs that I need to finish up, the stash needs to be managed proactively.....starting immediately.

I have no idea how much fabric I actually have, I can only tell you that it is a LOT. As in multiple 60 gallon rubbermaid tubs full of fabric. There are at least a dozen, Some full of fat quarters, some yardage, some sorted by color, and some just a jumbled mess. So, my first goal is to figure out what I have and how I am going to manage it. 5 years ago before I had the store, all of my fabric was sorted by color in bins. About a year ago, I bought those comic book boards and planned to put all of my fabric on boards, but I have never gotten around to it, there were too many other things to do, but it's time to get serious and get this stash under control. So, this week, it's develop a plan and a time line. I'm going to see how long it takes to wind the fabrics onto the boards, and create a plan. Once I have a crate done it will be time to figure out exactly how much space I am going to need to store it. And that is a potentially huge issue -- depending upon what the stats say.

In the meantime, it's time to make sure that I pull from stash whenever possible and the only way to do that well is to get it organized and accounted for, so it's time to get on it.

Next up --- UFOs.....

No comments:

Post a Comment