Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016 Word of the Year

Every year, I pick a word related to the goals for the year...I like it to be a verb, something I am going to strive for, or something I can do.....I've focused, I've built, I've simplified, and this year, I'm going to balance....

2015 was a strange year. I had some great struggles, and challenges, and some amazing wins. I moved the business and the house, changed jobs, and went through a period where I literally worked 154 days in a row. I took every opportunity to teach, including over some holidays, managed to piss off just about every member of my family at some point during the year, and dealt with some really scary parental aging issues. I'm not sad to see 2015 in the books. Not sad at all. On the other hand, I've seen the business grow, and found some amazing new friends and a new community support system that I love. Penny is flourishing, and will enter Therapy Dog training school in the next 6 months, so the year was not all a bust.

But 2016 -- She and I have some plans, some rather large goals, and some huge commitments. And the only way to do any of the well is to regain some perspective, and some balance in life. Don't get me wrong, the changes aren't major, I'm not quitting the day job or quitting teaching. I'm still going to teach 10-12 days a month, but not 16-18 that I have this year. I'm going to take a step back from travel, and teach closer to home. I'll still put 25,000 miles on the car this year, but not the 36k that occurred in 2015. I'm going to take a vacation. and not one that is quilty related. a real one, where you don't think about work (okay, maybe not all the time at least). I'm going to learn to be gentler with myself, and not take some things so personally.

SO, that's the word for the year....I haven't yet figure out what piece of jewelry I will add to my collection.....there are so many options....and to be honest, I like to wear both the new ones, and the older ones, so I'm going to have to figure that out. I'm currently wearing my built key necklace, and my simplify ring....and my focus pendant that was on a chain has moved to my charm bracelet....so I need to figure that out. I love having a piece of jewelry emblazoned with my chosen word, that I can use as a physical reminder to focus on the word of the year. I've found the physical reminder to be helpful....but I just can't decide this year....I'll let you know once I figure it out!

Do you make resolutions for the year??? Do you pick words or phrases?

No comments:

Post a Comment