Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Stuff, Stuff, and More Stuff

Do you ever feel like you are in a rut??? I've been feeling like my house is in a bit of a rut lately. It's just not bringing me joy. It's a bit messy and overfull with stuff. All things that I like, but a lot of them. Between running an online business out of the house, and having my sewing studio, and it being a full time living space, it's just a bit crowded lately, and feeling a bit overwhelming. And those overwhelming feelings tend to send me into a spiral, so I decided to knip it in the bud. I decided to take a different approach to dealing with it, and it's been enlightening to say the least.

I picked up a copy of Marie Kondo's "the life changing magic of tidying up". From the first sentence, it was clear this was not your typical self help book. It's a totally different approach to analyzing your stuff and your space. It's a totally different approach to stuff accumulation, and decluttering. And it's really quite profound. It's inspiring, and overwhelming. And when you start to follow it, it becomes clear where you are holding onto things and building up walls to protect yourself. It's really about or stuff and the feelings we give our stuff vs the purposes of the stuff.


I wish I could sum up the book in just a few sentences, but instead I'd encourage you to grab a copy (or better yet, download a copy to your favorite ereader) and find a 4-5 hour chunk of time to focus on you, and then try to stop decluttering. I dare you.

now, i really must go, I have a sewing room to declutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment