Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Work in Process Wednesday

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I really wanted to get a bunch of partially completed projects finished. I really want to finish up a bunch of WIPs and work through a lot of my stash. It just doesn't make sense to have a personal stash anymore, at least not with yards and yards of individual fabrics. Sure I am going to keep and work through the stuff I have, but I really only plan on buying personal stash to complete projects. I am sure I will need backgrounds, since I have a tendency to buy the big colorful prints, and fat quarters and half yards of blenders, butbdon't tend to buy backgrounds. So, I will definitely continue supporting my local fabric stores, but in a different way....

So, here's the projects I worked on this week....

Crackers - a great beginner paper piecing pattern, that is layer cake friendly. I use a layer cake of brown sugar by Hoffman. It's a nice subtle project. I think I will turn it into a wall hanging....


Perfect Posies - so I opened this project to work on it and quickly understood why I had put it away...
I started this project a couple of years ago in a class and put it away shortly after. I must have realized that I didn't like the contrast, and set it aside, hoping it would get better or that I would come up with an alternate plan for it.

It started with this fabric....a Hoffman Christmas print. It's cut out using the stack and wack method to cut 4 perfect copies, and then you twist and turn the fabrics until you get a pleasing repeat. It's a little more forgiving than traditional stack and wack in that you can twist and turn until you find one you like, sometimes with traditional stack and wack the block isn't great.....


After you cut the fabric, and make the stack and wack block, you wrap it in an inner border. I made 75 with dark green inner borders.


And 25 with dark maroon inner borders.


Once the inner borders are on, you add another set of stack and whacked triangles, and another PAIR of borders. So, if you are a math kinda person, you realize that this block us up in the 16 1/2" size....and with 100+ blocks this quilt would be HUGE, even by my standards, which is bed size....


And of course, I have only 1 - 6" strip of the focus fabric ( a no chance of finding any more of it). And various amounts of border fabric. I had obviously intended to use the lighter pink as the outside border for the alternate blocks. 


And so now, it's back to the drawing board.....at least for now.

On other finishes.....I completed my booth aprons. I made three, one for me and 2 for any one working in the booth with me. They are from the pattern "Girly Tool Belt", with a few alterations. It's a great pattern. Easy to follow, and totally customizable. 


And that is in for this week....what have you been working on?

Catherine







No comments:

Post a Comment