Sunday, July 7, 2013

Celebration Tree Skirt

The Celebration Tree Skirt is one of those patterns that I could do over and over again and never get bored.....Traditional, contemporary, kitchy, kid friendly, the pattern really has no limits, it has the perfect balance of precise paper piecing and large pieces to highlight novelty prints or fancy quilting...The best part, though, is the easy of construction, it's a smaller commitment from a time perspective, yet has most of the Judy techniques I love....the feathered star, the geese, and gentle curved piecing, making it easy and fast. I put mine together at a weekend retreat, including picking fabrics, so I would guestimate there is 20 or so hours of sewing in it.....My only issue with the pattern was the very end.....you are supposed to cut a hole in it to put it under the tree, but I couldn't do it, I just couldn't. I wanted to, I even siked myself up for it, but in the end I couldn't do it, so my friend Shawn York (of the Rusty Crow) quilted a beautiful poinsettia in the center. Beautiful!!!

I made my original (seen below in pics), and have sense received multiple requests from my family to make ones for them......One in a blue series to honor her husband's Jewish roots, and another with a great kids print in the big triangles. I have friends and customers who have made this quilt in multiple varieties, black/white/red, just like the pattern, one in a woodland print series, and one in red/white/blue that looks more like Fourth of July than Christmas, but was the perfect showcase piece for her military christmas (whe has 2 daughters in the army, 2 sons in the Marines, and 1 son in the Coast Guard). 

So, here's some pics to enjoy of my super traditional Celebration Tree Skirt..... 








 Center Details




Geese Details



side details, can you see that the red "backgrounds" are actually 4 different reds all pieced together???

And the full view....


Leave me a comment and let me know if you would like to see more pattern features in future segments....



Happy Quilting
Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment