Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Happy Christmas

Hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas!! I had a lazy one, and it was fantastic. We slept in. We ate Crockpot ham and homemade augratin potatoes, and snacked on chips, veggies, carne adasa and miscellaneous goodies all day long. We enjoyed Bells first Christmas -- she was much more excited about the paper than the gifts, but we didn't mind, it was just fun to hang out all day long. We went to the movies (Django Unchained), which was interesting, as I had never been to the movies on Christmas day, and was surprised how many people were there! We played some new games (or at least new to me) -- Agricola and Sequence. In typical fashion, Jared won Agricola (perhaps it helped that none of us had played before) and Taylor and I took home the sequence trophy. Generally a great day was had by all. Today, I'm headed back to work, but only for a few days, before we repeat last weekend's 4 day weekend!

I did manage to get a few things done during the Christmas madness, here they are :






Binding finished on my HST quilt. I finished the top years ago, and got it quilted last summer, and I finally got around to getting it bound and ready for service. Not sure why it took so long, other than I didn't need it for anything. I rushed to get the top finished in 2008 to teach it throughout 2009, and once I taught it, it just kind of lingered in the quilting closet. So, last summer I threw together a backing, and sent it off to the quilter for some quilty love. She did a wonderful job and got it back to me quickly, but it lingered in the binding pile (with friends Mr. Baseball and Miss Serendipity). So, over the holiday I got the binding sewn on, and did the hand work over two evenings with Harry Potter. I do love this quilt, it is super simple to construct (though a bit boring with nothing but triangles to sew), and it had a great visual impact. It's a great stash busted, using all fat quarters. Mine has various White on White backgrounds, but of course you can't tell. It's also a great way to showcase a great border print, in my case, a fabric called constellation..... 




And the piece de resistance for last week was Taylor's scarf. I started it last Thanksgiving, and I love the way it turned out. It is a sinple garter stitch, nothing complicated, but I think it turned out well for my first gift quality knitting adventure. The yarn is a bulky weight mohair/worsted combo, and is super soft, but still has some bulk to it. The picture looks flat, but the yarn itself is a medium dark charcoal with verigations in it, so yummy. It's a great neutral without being basic black. Hopefully Taylor will like it as much as I do!!

Stay tuned later this week for some information on my Golden Harvest and a giveaway!!!
















Happy Quilting!!!!


Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment