Thursday, December 27, 2012

Golden Harvest

Golden Harvest might be one of my favorite Judy Niemeyer patterns, most notably because it has all of the techniques -- stacking, curved piecing, piped binding, mariner's star, etc, BUT it's a small investment. At 56 x 56, it is about 25 hours worth of piecing, and is a great retreat quilt. I worked on mine while I was at Quiltique in Henderson, NV (they have a fabulous shop, full of batiks, notions, and a Bernina dealership). I saw Judy there last July for a week long workshop, and I got this done, and my Bali Bedrunner finished in a week. I've been holding onto the top unquilted since last July due to my teaching schedule (it is very helpful to have a sample of the quilt you are teaching, just saying). So, once the show and teaching schedule calmed down after Halloween, I sent this one off to Montana for some quilty love. Tammy Deshayes did the quilting, and it is fabulous! So fabulous in fact that I sent her a new box of quilts for quilting!!!!  I love the feather work (aren't you surprised) and the negative space she left which makes the points pop!!! Here's some pics for your enjoyment!

The overall -- can you find the blocks???



The quilted feathers on the background of the points. The points themselves have a simple pointed loop in them, so fresh and simple!


A loose boxed feather in the center corners (before the borders).


The boxed feather (sort of a wreath shape) is repeated on the background as well but in a smaller size....

And more of the simple loops in the background of the border (teal). You can also see hints of the large spined feather that is in the border. She matched thread throughout the quilt, and she did such a good job that the camera couldn't really pick up the quilting (of course, that is partially the light this time of year and the busyness of the striped border).

Stay tuned for another update once the binding goes on, and the sun comes out for good pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment