Monday, February 25, 2019

Knitting Plans for 2019 - brought to you from Dallas, TX

SO, I mentioned in my last post that I had taken a new job, which has a lot of travel, and by a lot, I mean basically daily travel. I leave on Sunday night, and I return on Friday. Many of you know that I teach every Saturday in Southern California. As a result, my sewing machine time has been greatly reduced, and I have had to find other ways to get my sewing fix. Initially, I didn't attempt to take sewing projects, because I just couldn't figure out what to take. Yes, I have done EPP (English Paper Piecing) before, and I don't hate it. Yes, I have done dozens (yes, dozens) of stitching projects. that are fairly portable. But I didn't want to try to cross stitch in low light on planes or in hotel rooms, it's just too hard on the eyes. So, I chose to spend most of my time knitting while on the road....and so far, I haven't finished a single thing for me!!! That's right, in 6 months I haven't made a single thing for me. I've made a half dozen hats, started some socks, made Christmas scarves, and picked 3 major projects for myself, but knitted absolutely nothing for me. There is just something incredibly satisfying to give a knitted or quilted gift...so I am always putting projects for me off. I'm always making samples for classes or gifts for friends. And while I will continue to make samples for classes, I am committed to knitting for myself this year. I have some pretty big knitting goals for the year, and I decided I better list them so that I can look back and hold myself accountable.

First up : Learn to make socks........eventually I want to make some fancy cable socks, but I'm starting with some simple vanilla socks.....like these.....

   

Second : make a sweater....starting with this one by TinCan Knits. It is called Mountain Mist, and hopefully will be a good choice for a first sweater.....basic, but with a little bit of personality.

Third: the perfect shawl. With all of the traveling and temperature fluctuations, a huge shawl is a must on the plane. And this one is the one I want before the fall travel season starts. This one is Ley Lines by Joji Locatelli, simple, basic, and amazing. I am going to do a faded version, and let the yarn slowly gradate through a series of turquoise and navy verigated yarns.

So, that's my knitting plan for the year.....

No comments:

Post a Comment